Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Young Adults Matter More Than They Think

Okay, there’s a demographic that I need to define here really quickly.  What do I mean by “young adults”?  I suppose I am referring to those young people who are post-high school and have not settled into the “rigors” of raising a family just yet.  You may be married with kids, but they are young enough that you aren’t quite spending all of your time running to soccer, school, and ballet lessons just yet.  I know this is a little subjective, because my message is for a LOT of people, but I want to focus in on a couple of things here today. 

I have noticed some key things in my twelve years of ministry (I know.  That’s not very long compared to some, but long enough to have noticed some trends).  Churches that are missing generations in their ranks are “incomplete”.  If there is a generation that is “missing”, so to speak, it is the Millennial generation in the church.  I do not mean this to demean those who are present, but by and large, there is a noticeable lack of those young adults who are hanging around and taking an active role in discipleship. 

Hold on!  What do I mean by “active role in discipleship”?  By that, I mean those who are able to prioritize their walk in such a way as they are gathering, learning, assimilating the Bible, and pouring that back out in some way in the form of ministry.  Showing up once or twice a month isn’t “participation”.  Let me now affirm that I do see a presence of those who DO all of these things (you know who you are and you make me proud!), however, they are not the norm. 

What’s the norm?  Well, from what I see, the young adult demographic seems to attend church or Bible study sporadically, not have a personal Bible study time, and live life in such a way that the main filter for life is not yet (many of you are getting there!) through the pages of Scripture.  This is a problem. 

Why is this a problem?  Well, instead of focusing on the problem, I would rather focus on the benefits of young adult ownership in ministry and this is best approached by giving anecdotal evidence.  This week has been a GREAT week at our VBS!  Our student ministry has been involved in presenting the Bible story for a few years now and they do a GREAT job!  As the student pastor, I have intentionally stepped back further and further in order to let other adults and teenagers take the bulk of responsibility.  I have some AWESOME youth staff members who have stepped up and taken a great deal of responsibility for the student ministry in this project (and in other ways, as well).  Some are adults with kids in the student ministry (how awesome that parents and teens are ministering side-by-side!) and others are the young adults to whom I am referring.  One young adult in particular is doing a great job doing the main presentation of the Biblical material, which was my job just a few years ago.  Her husband (yup, she’s married guys.  He’s too awesome, so just forget about it!) is actually running the game station and doing a FANTASTIC job!  Yet another young adult has taken a leadership role in the presentation of VBS as sort of an MC that gets the evening kicked off.  There are other examples of teen and young adult participation, but time and space limit me here. 

Here’s what I notice as I watch these young adults: they are able to connect with a lot of children and teens in a way that I cannot.  I am 40 years old.  I am overweight.  I am not very cool.  I still listen to 80’s thrash metal and like it.  I am becoming more impatient with technology every day.  I didn’t even know what Snap Chat was until last night!  These young people are ideal in that they are none of these things.  They are able to reach into the lives of the generation behind them in a way that I cannot.  But wait, there’s MORE!

It isn’t just the generation behind them that young adults impact.  I have noticed that they cut a far wider swathe through a church than even they realize.  While they provide a solid “next-step” example for children and teens, they provide something for people like me, as well.  For one thing, young adults are an outlet for mentorship.  They give me someone to whom I can pass the torch of ministry.  After all, they do have more years to live than I do.  They also provide the church with hope.  I cannot count the number of times that I have heard our senior saints RELISH in the fact that they look around and see children, teens, and particularly young adults in the church.  It indicates to every generation that the church is alive and well and actually growing in a direction.  I think it displays a legacy to our senior saints and validates all of the years that they have been teaching, working, sweating, and bleeding for the local church.  They look around and see young people from five years old to thirty five years old and realize that it was all worth it! 

So what’s my point?  I suppose my point is that I want the young adults who may be reading this to understand their potential in the church.  Your church needs you.  We NEED you.  We need for you to take the Bible seriously.  We need for you to get up on Sunday morning (or whenever you have a Bible study available) and get to church.  We need for you to grow in faith and stop being mere consumers of the gospel.  We need for you to dig into your Bible and find a willing mentor who will help you to navigate the tough things you encounter.  We need for you to assimilate faith into action and help us to advance the Kingdom of God!  We need for you to make Jesus your first priority and rearrange your life as such.  You are NOT the future of the church, but the very real present. 

No comments:

Post a Comment