Thursday, June 19, 2014

What I Am Not

This is the first blog post of my entire life.  As this is my very first blog and no one will read it anyway, I feel free to say pretty much whatever I feel like saying whether anyone likes it our not.  I do have something on my mind just in case someone finds their way here and actually follows the ramblings of a deranged student pastor.  I have been in ministry for about 12 years now including lay, part-time, and full-time positions at the same church.  In that time, I have worn few hats to include student pastor, young adult speaker, guitar player, occasional worship leader, and Bible teacher.  

Now, these are some pretty common "churchy" hats that a lot of guys wear.  These "hats" are sort of a description of who I am and what I am in my church ministry.  There are a few things that I am NOT, however.  

  1. Babysitter - Parents, I am not here to keep your kids occupied while you're getting your weekly Jesus fix.  If you need a babysitter, hire one.  
  2. Cruise Director - I am not here to ensure that you make connections in the church.  I am not here to plan events for you to attend.  If you need friends or need to attend events, go to the mall or a concert.  
  3. Your Therapist - I am not here to make sure that you feel good about yourself.  If what you say and what you do just don't add up, be sure that I will let you know (I would hope that you would do the same for me).  
Lots of guys in the Bible led really lonely lives.  Jeremiah was called "the weeping prophet".  Amos made a regular habit of telling people that the way they worshiped God pretty much sucked.  Micah took on the issue of blemished sacrifices.  These and many others did not feel as though they needed to be liked or respected.  They took on a life or persecution that was born or their desire not only to love God, but to see those around them love God, as well.  All of that stated, if you ever show up at New Bridge and expect 1, 2, or 3 from above, just keep on moving to the mall.  You'll be much happier and more fulfilled there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment