Thursday, June 19, 2014

At the end of the day...

Well, I'm sitting here having recently been exposed to poison ivy, Virginia creeper, or some such other random poisonous, rash-inducing, hell hath no fury plant.  I'm covered pretty much head to toe in a rash and these little blisters that make me look walking like bubble wrap.  I haven't been out of the house in a couple of days.  July in Virginia is, in the words of the great Matthew Broderick, "Africa hot" and I sweat like a Kentucky Derby thoroughbred in the summertime, which means that I can't workout or spend more than five minutes out in "East Coast Africa" without breaking out into an itch that could qualify as some sort of Taliban torture.  Who needs waterboarding when you can just give someone a huge rash and send them out to sweat, right?  I just glanced back at what I was reading in my Bible this morning.  I've been reading through Romans for MONTHS now, studying just a little at a time.  Actually, I'm going through it for the second time.  I'm at Romans 5:6-8.

You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

God has created some really strange and amazing things.  We live in a CRAZY, awesome creation where even a little plant can defend itself by inflicting discomfort when you try to strip it from its bed.  That really just makes me wonder what tomorrow will bring in his Kingdom, in my marriage, and in my ministry.  Not much of a point here except to say that the human experience can certainly be distracting can it not?  What is really real?  Is a rash real?  Well, it certainly is, but rashes go away.  Eternity doesn't.  In the grand scheme of life, ministry, rashes, reading, studying, scratching, living, and loving nothing really matters except that Jesus, while I was mired in my sin, in SPITE of my sin, when I was so NOT worth it even in my own eyes, died for me so that I could live and have a chance at grace.  So, at the end of the day...and a really weird blog entry...I suppose I just wanted to say that I am just grateful for one more day.  One more day with an awesome wife.  One more day with a great church.  One more day to study the Bible and to have the privilege of knowing Christ as my Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment