Friday, June 20, 2014

When Teenagers Run the Church

Did the title of this post scare you a little?  If so, ask yourself why that is.  Teenagers get a pretty bad rap today.  Lots of them are considered narcissistic (in love with themselves), self-centered, and just downright selfish.  How could such a person really be relied upon to take leadership in the church today?  I mean, teenagers don't want to take any responsibility, right?  Why would we hand them the reins of a ministry when it is certain to be an exercise in futility and failure?  Really?

I have a question for you.  What if we took a chance on teenagers?  What if we looked around, found those with some leadership potential, equipped them to lead, and then turned them loose?  You might be surprised.  I think some people are afraid of doing just that because it means that their own ministry becomes superfluous.  I admit that I was hung up on this for a while.  That all changed when I found out that trusting teenagers who were gifted where I am weak helped the ministry.  I have been leaning on kids for a while now to help organize details of ministry.  Some of them are REALLY good at it!

There have been two instances in this last year when I was unable to be at our regularly scheduled Wednesday night youth group gathering (what we call "Renovate" at New Bridge).  On one occasion, I had completely forgotten that one of my teachers was going to be out.  She was the one teaching Bible study to our young ladies.  I have three teen guys who are rotating the teaching in our young men's small group (under careful supervision, of course).  The one who was up to teach that week had only taught maybe a handful of times and was relatively new to teaching.  My father-in-law's health was declining rapidly and Katy (my wife) and I had to return home to help with some things.  I looked at this ninth grader that week and asked him, "How do you feel about just teaching the large group this week", clearly indicating that he was to teach the entire group.  I will never forget his reaction.  He looked at me with these huge, overwhelmed eyes.  He said, "Well, that's different.  Not BAD, just different".  His tension melted away to determination as he adjusted and prepared his mind and heart for a new challenge.  He did a GREAT job that week!

Just this last week, I have had a case of poison ivy (or Virginia Creeper.  Whatever the case, I'm human bubble wrap this week).  I wasn't able to attend, so I had one of my other guys (a ninth grader) lead youth group this last week.  He selected a game, controlled the flow of the evening, and really came through in leadership.  There have been other times when I have allowed others, particularly on our worship team, to take responsibility for leading worship, prayer, and reading Scripture in our worship gathering.

1 Timothy 4:12-16 says this:

Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity. 13 Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching. 14 Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through prophecy when the body of elders laid their hands on you. 

15 Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress. 16 Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers. 

My point is this: If our church is to survive, we have to realize that young people matter.  Equipping young people to lead NOW matters.  It is crucial to our church's survival.  They are capable and willing.  They just need a church that is willing to take a chance on them.  Will ministry be as well-organized, well-taught, and as polished as if we adults do it all ourselves?  Not at first, but give it time and let them gain some experience and you just watch what God does with a bunch of knuckleheaded kids!  

If you are an adult reading this, my message to you is this: don't be afraid to hand off ministry.  Give a handful of kids just a little responsibility.  Figure out who has potential and who does not.  Notice the gifts that the Holy Spirit is developing in your kids and meet them where they are.  Once you find out who will carry out small duties and give incrementally more responsibility.  Invite them to learn how to teach.  Let them shadow you.  Rotate them in.  Let them actually lead a youth group meeting from front to back one night with notes that you have carefully written.  Coach them.  Walk with them.  Be a leader of leaders.  

If you are a teenager reading this, my message to you is this: take responsibility for ministry.  ASK for responsibility!  Prove that you can be mature enough to handle it and maybe someone will take a chance on you.  Don't just expect someone to hand you ministry if you sit in the back of youth group with your head stuck in your phone while your youth pastor is talking.  Listen to him.  Watch him.  Notice how a gathering is led.  Take the good leadership points, throw out the bad ones, develop your own style and just LEAD!  Ask your leader how he does it.  Be a disciple.  It starts with you taking responsibility for your own leadership and faith development.  If you don't participate well, you won't lead well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment